Friday, August 19, 2005

Quotes

"Action is the antidote to despair."
-- Joan Baez

"I am visible--see this Indian face--yet I am invisible. I both blind them with my beak nose and am their blind spot. But I exist, we exist. They'd like to think I have melted in the pot. But I haven't. We haven't."
-- Gloria Anzaldua

"When you are not physically starving, you have the luxury to realize psychic and emotional starvation."
-- Cherrie Moraga

"It always makes me so angry when people assume that anyone who calls himself or herself a Chicano or a Chicana is automatically someone who doesn't like to read. . . . I knew how to read before I went to the first grade because of my grandmother. All of my cousins were under her tutelage. She taught us to read and to respect learning."
-- Arturo Islas

"This is an abuse of the legislative process ... If the law does not protect you it will not protect me."
-- U.S. Representative Charles A. Gonzales of Texas, regarding the proposed Federal Marriage Amendment that would have permanently restricted marriage rights to heterosexuals in the United States

"We were not taking any more of this shit. We had done so much for other movements. It was time."
-- Sylvia Rivera, on her participation in the Stonewall Riots, fighting back against police brutality that targeted gay, lesbian, bi, and trans people and inspiring the generations of civil rights activism that followed.

"They always say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself."
-- artist, Andy Warhol

"Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes, they forgive them."
-- Irish poet and playwright, Oscar Wilde

"If people knew how hard I have had to work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem wonderful at all."
-- Italian artist, Michelangelo

It is better to be hated for what one is than loved for what one is not.
-- author and Nobel Prize winner, Andre Gide

No comments: