Thursday, February 17, 2005

Re Larry Kramer

I've found it hard to say just why I find Larry Kramer such a compelling writer. "Why I love Larry" by Gary Barton from The Advocate, March 1, 2005 reflects alot of my own thoughts.

"I love Larry Kramer. More to the point, I respect him and am enormously grateful to him. I am really sick of people who, out of ignorance or stupidity or fear, criticize Larry for being a loose cannon. Do I agree with everything he has said? No. So what? Does he sometimes rant? Fortunately, yes...

"To those of you who don’t like Larry’s style, get over it. If Larry’s critics put a 10th of the work and passion that Larry has into helping people with AIDS, we would not be in these horrible times.

"Style is not as important as content, and almost without exception, Larry has been right. Read his writings from the early ’80s, and you’ll find how so many of the very things that upset people most have proved to be right. Oftentimes unpopular, but right. He is the kind of leader we need.

"Larry helped to coin and popularize the phrase SILENCE = DEATH.

"Stupidity also equals death."

http://www.advocate.com/html/stories/933/933_barton.asp

No comments: